Saturday, September 15, 2007

my 2 cents on Britney Spears

I know there has been lots of talk about Britney this week. It's a little crazy to me that this was called her big "comeback." In my opinion, she hasn't really been gone long enough to make a comeback. I think her last album was 3 years ago, which isn't really that long ago, although I don't think it sold very well. Mostly, the comeback is referring to how far she's fallen in the public eye because of the major mistakes she's recently made. But, it's clear she's not really ready to come back. I like to think that I can relate to Brit. When I want to lose weight, but know that I'm not really in that place yet, I don't bother to try until I get there. In the meantime, I just enjoy myself. Otherwise, I wake up every day thinking that I'm getting back on the horse and then fail and feel bad about myself.

About her big failed comeback based on one night at the VMA's.... I know some people were talking about her hair, some were talking about her figure, some were talking about how she appeared to have forgotten the words to the song (they were quite complicated), some were talking about her lack of energy and enthusiasm in her dance movements. My biggest response to the performance, however, is the main theme of stripperdom. The backup dancers were on stripper poles and she was not taking her clothes off, but that's because she didn't start with much in the first place. I really don't know when the strip tease dance got to be so mainstream. A few years ago when she did the VMA performance when she sang "Satisfaction" and then took off her clothes to that flesh colored sparkly number underneath, there was a lot of talk about her stripper performance. Now, there's nothing. I guess after you make out with Madonna on stage, backup dancers on stripper poles are no longer shocking.

No comments: