Monday, September 10, 2007

concerts

I heard that Bruce Springsteen and the boys are touring again this year, so I logged on as soon as I got to work to try to buy tickets (I even came in early). I only did so half-heartedly because I knew it would already be sold out, and I was right. Now I have to decide if it's worth it to shell out more money to a scalper. those bastards!

I went to see Damien Rice on Friday night. When I told Esther I was going, she said, "Why? Are you planning to take a nap?" I laughed because it's true, his music is pretty quiet and mellow (like me). However, he is NOT quiet and mellow in person. At least, his music isn't. They are much louder than I expected and he really put on a good show. He was mostly all business, going from one song to the next. But about half-way through, he decided to tell an anecdote or something and it was PAINFUL. It's like that scene in Tootsie when Dustin Hoffman is revealing that he is really a man and it's a live show, and everyone on the set and in the control room (is that what it's really called or did I make that up?) is on the edge of their seats and the producer says, "Don't... don't... don't panic." So, Damien Rice is trying to talk, and he's saying "uh" and "you know" more than anything else and I have no idea what the point of the story is. But then people in the audience start yelling "We love you!" and it takes him so off guard that he loses his train of thought and says "uh" even more and I felt like yelling "Shut up! Don't you know this is hard for him??" But they don't stop, they just keep yelling and people are actually shushing them, and they keep doing it. One time, he actually gave the story up all together and just went into the next song. By the end, he had hit his stride, though, and actually told some interesting stories and, as you know, I love stories. So, this was probably the worst audience I've ever been part of because they were not only annoying to me, they threw off the whole show. But, overall, a good show.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

I love Damion Rice

Esther said...

I have a sneaking (or is it sneaky) suspicion that this post was more entertaining than the concert. Having said that, it's a pretty high standard though because I thoroughly enjoyed this post. I request a follow-up post discussing the concert you went to that had the best audience. Could it have been our recent JM show in New Jersey?