Thursday, September 20, 2007

I flunked Cupcake 101

I have been to Magnolia bakery a million times. Of course. It only took me one time going to the bakery and buying a chocolate cupcake to learn that they are dry. I tell everyone that I like them best, but that you should not get the chocolate cupcake because they are dry. Yellow cupcake with buttercream frosting -- delicious. Yellow cupcake with chocolate frosting -- delicious. Chocolate cupcake --dry. Don't buy one.

Last year, one of my coworkers had a baby and I volunteered to make a cake for the shower. I used my Magnolia cookbook to make the cake. What do I choose? The chocolate cake recipe. As soon as I saw it crumble apart as she cut into it, I remembered my OWN ADVICE not to eat the chocolate!

And then last week, my coworker said that we are going to have a cake for another coworker who is getting married. She asked what the coworker likes. I said Magnolia. She asked what kind. I said I wasn't sure, but maybe get the chocolate cake with buttercream frosting. What is wrong with me?? Again, I forgot until the cake was cut and served on plates and I saw it falling apart. Of course, that didn't stop me from eating a big, fat piece and then licking the knife clean!

1 comment:

Esther said...

Great, now we are going to have to do some remedial cupcake work when I'm there next. Oh well, if it has to be done, it has to be done!