Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Cupcake Tour


My friend, Jenni, sent this link to me about some people that have a food blog and did a tour of some of the best NYC cupcake joints. It's from last year, but since it's new to me, I'll address it.


My comments are these:

If you are eating only chocolate/chocolate cupcakes, like these jokers did, it's true that Magnolia won't be on the top of the list. I call this Cupcake 101. However, if you get the yellow/chocolate cupcake or the yellow/buttercream cupcake, you will be in heaven. Just as everyone was in heaven over the weekend when my sister made some of these for a party. I think because Magnolia is credited for starting the cupcake craze, people expect a lot from them and maybe are disappointed. They also don't have the variety that other bakeshops have. But from my point of view, they are definitely some of the best (as long as you don't get the chocolate).

I don't know about Buttercup chocolate cupcakes. From my memory, they are much more moist than Magnolia. I think I have enjoyed everything I've had from Buttercup, but these people said it's the worst. These people must be on crack. Try the lemon!

Crumbs is the best? These people really are on crack! You may as well eat Entenmann's, because their cupcakes are pretty much the same thing. Yes, they look beautiful, but when you bite in, there's something missing. Heidi says they're too dry -- I say they are too airy and therefore sort of tasteless. Don't get me wrong... they will definitely do in a pinch (as will Entenmann's).


Cupcake Cafe definitely have the most beautiful cupcakes (seriously. check out the link). I used to live about 7 blocks from there and everytime I walked by, I fantasized about having some huge celebration so that I could buy this cake with sunflowers. Since then some work people have ordered these cakes for someone's retirement party and another for a graduation so I have had them on several occasions. They are definitely not the most delicious cakes. I think the cake has the consistency of poundcake and the frosting isn't sweet enough. To prove my point, at said graduation, when they brought out the cake, I ran upstairs to resist it. If it had been from somewhere else, I probably would have indulged, but in this city, you have to pick your battles. Cupcake Cafe lost this one.


The other one they tried, Make my Cake, is new to me. I had never heard of it before, but I will be going there someday to try it and then I'll let you know. It's in Harlem, and the only time I go there is to go to the gym because it's the closest to my apartment. I guess I could always do an extra 30 minutes at the gym and then go there. We'll see about that...

3 comments:

Esther said...

Those people are AMATEURS. First of all, how can you do a "cupcake tour" with no Billy's? Every single obsternation you made is correct, especially the fact that they were doomed from the get-go by choosing chocolate/chocolate at every store. Playa pleez.

Sara M said...

I gotta go make cupcakes. :)

One Sassy Princess said...

Every time I read your blogs about cupcakes---it makes me really want one---