Thursday, August 14, 2008

my first tomato

I picked it this morning! I'm pretty sure this is what it's supposed to look like. I was getting worried because it didn't seem to change for the longest time, but finally started to get some red this week. So I have this one from my Brandywine plant, and three on my Bucks County plant, but that's it. Is it too late for any more to grow? It's the middle of August! If this is, indeed, the only one I get from this plant, then this tomato cost $20 when you factor in the plant, the dirt and the pot that I had to buy.

5 comments:

Valerie said...

That is always my problem with tomatoes, I never know when to pick them.
This will make you laugh:
http://www.amazon.com/64-Tomato-Fortune-Endured-Existential/dp/1565125576/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218748211&sr=8-2
And this is the right time for tomatoes, don't worry, they should keep coming.

shaunacd said...

You should get tomatos thru September or even October. So far you've gotten 1 more tomato than I have. I stopped watering my plants, no use wasting the water.

Brenda Dickerson Lassabe said...

So how yummy was that $20 tomatoe and how did you eat it? Just with some salt? On a sandwich? In a salad?

Tina said...

I got the patio hybrid and I've gotten a dozen or so. But they're all small, like the size of a half dollar. You can save the one tomato and try to sprout the seeds for next year. Depending on how PBS Victory Garden you want to be.

Sara M said...

Yeah! You are a gardner. It is a great looking tomatoe. Did you know if you pick them green and let them sit in a cool place that they will continue to ripen? I think I heard that putting them in a paper bag can actually speed up the process- something about trapping the gases.
Remember what Dori said (or something like it) Just keep trying, just keep trying.