Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Boss -- concert #2

I know I have been posting a lot about concerts. It may seem that I go to a lot of concerts, but it's really a fluke that I have been to so many this summer. Yes, I do see JM a lot, but other than that, I hardly go to concerts. Part of the reason that I made the decision to see JM so often is that I figured that someday he will be so popular I won't be able to get tickets anymore. This is based on my experience with Springsteen. When I was at my second Springsteen concert on Thursday, I realized that I have been a fan of his since the 80's and I've only seen him perform one other time in 2000. That's crazy! The other thing that I was thinking about at the show was that I remember telling a friend in my early 20's that I would only marry someone if he was a fan of Bruce Springsteen. I think I shot myself in the foot on that one since I was also trying to marry someone that shared my religious beliefs and Mormon men my age are much more likely to be fans of Howard Jones (!) than Bruce Springsteen.

here's the set list for concert #2

Summertime Blues
Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
Radio Nowhere
Prove It All Night
Two Hearts
The Promised Land
Spirit in the Night
Light of Day
Brilliant Disguise
Pretty Flamingo
Blinded by the Light
Cadillac Ranch
Candy's Room
Night
Because the Night
She's the One
Livin' in the Future
Mary's Place
Incident on 57th Street
The Rising
Last to Die
Long Walk Home
Badlands

* * * Encore* * *

Jungleland
Born to Run
Bobby Jean
Dancing in the Dark
American Land
Jersey Girl
Rosalita

The highlights for me were (1) Jungleland. This song is one of my favorites and it was wicked awesome performed live! (2) Tenth-Avenue Freezeout (the ringer on my cell phone), (3) Rosalita, (4) Prove it all Night, (5) Badlands (just as good second time around), (6) Spirit in the Night, and (7) Jersey Girl, which he sang, by request. and, yes, I was wearing my Jersey Girl shirt!

The concert started late due to some insane accident on the Turnpike and they were "nice" enough to start the concert late. So it started at 9:30. Part of me wanted him to go ahead and play all 3 hours worth of music and the other part of me wanted to go home and be in bed at a decent hour. Well, he went ahead and played a full set and I got home at 2:30 am. Which would have been fine if I didn't have a training the next morning that started at 7:45 on the East side.


Something else of note about this concert was the crowd. A few different friends went to the show and we all waited for the bus going back to the city together. In totally independent conversations, we all said that we had not seen a dude-fest like this before. For the show on Monday, our seats were pretty terrible. Our seats were the worst ones, the worst you can get (upper tier), but in the second row. The only people I could see were the two couples in their 50's in front of me and the one to the side of me (the woman right next to me plugged her ears the whole time). But on Thursday, we were in the lower tier about half-way up, so we had a good view of the audience. There were a few couples, but mostly groups of men high-fiving each other when a new song came on, singing the words to each other, and shaking their fists to the music. It was pretty interesting.

1 comment:

LeolaniNYC said...

it was a total dude love fest. that was pretty hilarious.