Friday, June 27, 2008

Today show

This morning I was watching The Today Show and Coldplay was performing for their summer concert series. I love them! I heard from Leolani that this weekend is Youth Conference for our stake, and they woke the kids up at 5 am and took them to see the show. You know they only did it because the leaders wanted to go. I'm sure most of our youth aren't into Coldplay, although I guess you never know. Either way, I think it's a great idea for a Youth Conference.

It got me thinking about two years ago (can it really be that long ago?) that I saw John Mayer doing the same thing. Somehow I was standing next to the most annoying people to my left and the weirdest people to my right. The people to the left were obviously there to get on TV because the mom was talking on her cell phone the whole time saying, "Did you see us? I'm wearing a pink shirt, (input a kid's name) is wearing a green shirt, (input another kid's name) is wearing a blue shirt..." Then she started coming up with a strategy for getting on TV. "If we yell, 'We love you John!!' then we'll definitely get on TV!" Then when the camera came near them, they yelled their declaration of love for JM and then got back on the cell phone to see if anyone saw them. Annoying.... but nothing compared to the freak on the other side of me.

A man was holding up an autographed picture of Twisted Sister. Underneath the picture was another picture, but turned the opposite way. It was a headshot of himself. A lot of people clearly plan ahead for these concerts, getting the poster board, markers, glitter, what-have-you, ahead of time and write clever phrases to show off for the audience at home. However, this guy must not have planned ahead because he was using the back of his headshot in hopes of his 15 minutes of fame--clearly the only blank surface he could find. He had written on the back (in ballpoint pen, not a marker or something that people will actually be able to read on camera), "Twisted Sister: I am your Number One Fan. When are you putting out a new album? I want to play a song with you." Any time the camera came in his direction, he showed the TS picture and his sworn statement of loyalty to the camera just in case Dee Snider was watching JM's concert on The Today Show.

Seriously! Twisted Sister!

2 comments:

Esther said...

LOL, I forgot about that! Twisted Sister!?! It's so great. NYC is the best!!

Esther said...

I may start telling the Twisted Sister story as my own in a few months, it's so good. But hopefully I won't do that in front of you like last time. :)