Friday, June 13, 2008

Plenty of tomatoes in the patch


A few weeks ago, I was at Valerie's house and accompanied her to the farmer's market to buy her tomato plants. As one of the few people in my family to have a yard, she has become quite a gardener. I decided to follow her lead and try to do an urban garden this year. Two years ago, I bought a basil plant as an experiment and it has been thriving in my kitchen window. I love fresh basil, even though I hardly ever use it. Even so, I thought I'd branch out and grow some tomato plants this year. When I got back to the city, I spent the last day of my stay-cation to go to the farmer's market in Union Square and bought two heirloom tomato plants. Here they are on my fire escape! I have since replanted them and will chart their progress here. I do so with some trepidation since it totally has the potential for failure, but I guess we'll see.

3 comments:

Tina said...

I got tomato plants as well. Two years ago I got one, but nothing fruited up. This year I got two, hoping the chance of cross polination might help. I'll be wishing yours do well and then we can be tomato sisters!

Sara M said...

You go girl. Way to take the plunge. Fresh tomatoes can't be beat.

Unknown said...

You're growing two of the three ingredients to the best dish on the planet. The Caprese salad.

Even the Beastie Boys sing about it... "Like Caprese with the basil, not goofy like Darren or Hazel."