Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Three Cups of Tea

It's been a while since I've blogged about a book that I've read, but this is one that I loved and I am recommending to everyone I know. It's about a guy that was mountain climbing and stumbled upon a little village of people in the mountains of Pakistan. They nursed him back to health and they all came to care about each other, despite the cultural and language differences. When he noticed that the children didn't have a school to meet in, he promised them he'd return and build one for them... and he did. He started a foundation to build schools in lots of remote places in that area of the world, during the time when the Taliban was flourishing. It's a really wonderful example about what one person can do to make a difference. It also shows you how education really can change people's lives.

1 comment:

Esther said...

Thank you very much. I just finished Devil in the White City and was looking for a new book. Nice to see I still have nothing to myself.