Monday, January 21, 2008

27 Dresses

I went to see this movie today. I anticipated that I would hate this movie, and I was right. Don't ask me why I went anyway. I really can't say. The formula is honestly offensive at this point. The only thing missing from this rom-com was the falling-in-love montage (unless you count the trying-on-dresses montage, which is only slightly less cliche). Besides the fact that I liked it the first time when it was called The Wedding Planner or Picture Perfect (it's sort of a cross between the two). It even had Judy Greer as a sidekick, like she was to J.Lo in Wedding Planner and a million other romantic comedies. To even try to write a movie in which Katherine Heigl is the less attractive older sister that men don't notice is completely ridiculous. And we all know that men that are as cute as James Marsden would never be that persistent, even if he was writing a story about her. You know, on second thought, cuteness has nothing to do with it. I'll go out on a limb and say no man would be that persistent unless he's a stalker. But the most ridiculous part of all is her apartment! A woman that works as an assistant who has her own 1 bedroom apartment in the Village with that much closet space and room for a kitchen table? Puh-leeeeze! And after I have spent the last few days shopping for a dress for my friend's wedding, I also doubt she could find such a cute one for herself in such a short time.

Update: Thank you, Jill, for reminding me about the car! She did say at one point that she had her father's Volvo, so it's possible she was going to pick her sister up in her father's car. But true, most New Yorkers do not have a car. And while I'm at it, most New Yorkers don't take cabs everywhere. Even Mayor Bloomberg rides the train to work every day!

2 comments:

One Sassy Princess said...

don't tell me that-- I was planning on going to see it--with you (tee hee hee just kidding ya) I was going to go this past weekend but got sick. Now I may have to re-think it...you know me though--I may really like it.

Unknown said...

we have got to be sisters because i went and saw it last night and had all the same thoughts! plus, she had a car which means she probably had to lease a spot for it which is also ridiculous. at about 15 minutes in, i just made a game out of how many cliches and unrealistic points they were making, which was way more than 27...

plus, you forgot about "runaway bride"