Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Fall TV

I think I'm finally ready to write my most favorite blog post of the year. It's time for fall TV to start, People! Some shows have already started, actually, which is annoying because I have a system. Which is to wait until EW has their fall TV preview and make notes and a spreadsheet of my shows. And that mag just came in the mail on Friday.

But anyway... It's time to jump on the bandwagon...

GLEE! I know people have been talking about this show since it premiered in May. Although I recorded it back then, I didn't watch it until August. Don't ask me why because it's not like there was anything to watch over the summer. I have since watched "Don't Stop Believin'" about 100 times. Remember when Journey was awesome, and then they were kind of a joke, and now they are awesome again? My only question about this show is how are they going to keep up the awesomeness when they seem convinced that they need to do new music (as was the main discussion in episode two). I mean, how can a Kanye West song come close to a Journey song?? And I was thinking this way before the whole VMA thing. I think Kanye West is a total idiot and not at all talented. Not even my boyfriend could save one of his songs, as featured here. To me, the only person that is worse is Snoop Dogg.

"Glee" also has the potential to make it into the "quote of the week" section of my blog. Of course, all quotes will be coming from Jane Lynch. Already, there's this quote, which she says to Mr. Schuester in episode two:

"Iron tablet? Keeps your strength up while you're menstruating."


Other new shows:

There are a few new medical dramas. Can I be persuaded to pick any of these up?

Trauma-- Possibly. I like Derek Luke and I don't have another Monday show.

Mercy -- Possibly. I love that Men in Trees guy and EW describes one of the characters as "a short tempered Iraq-war vet", which is pretty much one of the most interesting things I can imagine for this therapist. Plus, it takes place in Jersey City, NJ, which is fascinating to me. That's got to be a first, no?

Others I will be trying out...

Flash Forward -- Already being called the replacement for "Lost" when it finishes at the end of this season. I'll be the judge of that!

Community -- Fits right into my Thursday night of comedy and, of course, Joel McHale is hilarious.


The Good Wife -- as Jon Stewart said during the Eliot Spitzer press conference, why are these politicians required to bring a date to these things?


Shows that are not going to make it into the rotation:

The Beautiful Life -- I was briefly considering this one, partly because there is a character named Sonja. Then I realized that the person playing that character is Mischa Barton. Plus it's on at the same time as both "Glee" and "Friday Night Lights." No, thank you (as Kenneth the Page would say).


Cougar Town -- The term "cougar" hit the zenith of comedy when Jenna gave Liz the "we're cougars" speech on "30 Rock", but now it's over. I might have given this new show a try, but once again, it's competing with "Glee" and "FNL."


Melrose Place -- I considered watching "90210" for five minutes last year, but "Melrose" only got three minutes of consideration. The final nail went into that coffin after I saw an interview with Ashlee. Uff da!

Returning shows I love:

The Office (of course)
30 Rock (of course) which doesn't return until Octobe 15!?
Mad Men -- started in August and going strong!
FNL -- so scared for my favorite characters to leave and new ones to enter, but I am going to have faith that they are going to pull it off, because they do everything else right on that show. Luckily, Matt Saracen sticks around for a few episodes.

Also:

this year I'm giving up ANTM and picked up Project Runway (so what if I'm a little late to that party?).
can you believe that One Tree Hill is still on?

3 comments:

Equis said...

I'm with you on FNL; oh how I love Matt he will be missed. It's also suppose to be ending in 2010 so there is no way they can mess it up when they have a predetermined end in sight...right?

Esther said...

The best part of that Glee quote is the exchange right after that.
Will: "I don't menstruate."
Sue: "Neither do I."

sonya d said...

Estee -- that's correct.