Tuesday, November 23, 2010

India part 7

We stayed in some magnificent places. This was my favorite, called Umaid Bhawan Palace. It's the maharaja's palace built in 1943, and is decorated with the art deco style from that time. It was partially converted into a hotel, although the maharaja still lives in one of the wings. This is the entrance.



These traditionally dressed butlers were found all over the place. My dad could probably name the year and make of these cars, but all I know is that they looked cool.



Once inside, this is the lobby. First you see this grand staircase, which we could take up to our rooms. Past the staircase, you enter this domed area. I loved these saffron collored banners. There's no way to really portray how beautiful this was, but you'll have to try to imagine it.





Here's another room used for conferences or something...


This was (part of) our room. Through the door to the left, was the bedroom and bathroom, but we had this awesome sitting room. Since by the time we got here to Jodhpur there were five of us, it gave us a nice place to sit and chat and look at the stuff we bought each night.

Here's the view from the back and the hotel grounds.










Here's the pool. Trevor was explicitly told by me that he was not allowed to bring the camera out when bathing suits were involved, but I guess he decided that he was in charge. Whatever!!


We ate breakfast every morning in the back of the hotel. I was going to call it the back porch, but I don't really know what it's called, but it overlooked the whole property.


Here's my favorite breakfast. Seems simple -- french toast with bananas and berry compote but it was delicious!! The bread was really light and fluffy and it was sooooo good!


although it was lovely, eating outside can be a bit dangerous when squirrels actually climbed up onto our actual table. Not to mention .... ick! pigeons! But don't fear because there was this young man holding a flag with a pigeon on it... I guess this was supposed to keep them away?

Our last night we had a dinner outside in this white pavilion. That will be my next post..,


Here's the hotel again from the back, lit up by night.

1 comment:

shaunacd said...

I just can't believe how beautiful these places are. What an experience!