Thursday, November 18, 2010

India part 5

More from the spice/vegetable market, from Kathy's point of view.




Here I am, making my big spice purchase.





We kind of went crazy whenever we saw the marigolds. I know my mom grew some in our garden growing up, but they never looked like this. So beautiful!!



We were told the marigolds are for people to decorate their houses for Diwali which happened right after I left. But they also used them to decorate their houses during another religious observance that happened while we were there. There is a day each year when the women fast for the long lives of their husbands. They get all henna'ed up and dressed up, and fast all day. Kathy asked our guide when their day is to fast for the long lives of their wives. He just laughed.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Love how you are integrating stories with the pics and grouping them thematically!