Sunday, May 25, 2008

All kinds of pie

I spent the past few days driving through New England. We started in Connecticut where we picked up our car, drove through Vermont, stayed over night in New Hampshire, then it was on to Maine for two nights, then spent an afternoon in another New Hampshire town and finally ended up at my sister's place in Boston.


The first day, we stopped for lunch in Vermont at a restaurant that Heidi found on a website called roadfood.com. She's a bit of a food snob, so it wouldn't occur to her to just grab some McDonald's on the way. She found this restaurant that she figured we'd hit around lunchtime. We had sandwiches, mac and cheese and two kinds of pie -- three berry and walnut maple. We took the pie to go because we were so full. Once we got to the resort where we were staying, we realized this place was a little fancier than we thought, and that we were used to. But that did not stop Heidi from asking if we could turn the TV set to American Idol, bring our own pie into the restaurant to eat and order ice cream to go along with it. When I said I was too embarrassed to do it, she went back and forth, but finally said, "This is America. We should be able to eat our pie wherever we want." Although at first the servers seemed a little put out by us that we were (1) wearing jeans and (2) wanted to eat from the tavern menu instead of the dining room menu, they cheerfully obliged us.


The treat we discovered in abundance was the whoopie pie. We stopped at a gas station/convenience store somewhere along the way in Vermont. I saw these whoopie pies in the store, and just had to get one to eat along the way. I decided to try the maple flavor and it was goooooood! I have had whoopie pies before, but not as big (lots of cake, lots of cream) as the ones we found in New England and had never seen any variety in flavors other than the traditional chocolate. I had no idea that they are so plentiful. After googling it, I found that it is, indeed, something that can be found lots of places, but is attributed to New England and especially Maine. It turned out to be the thing to do in each town we went. In Portland, ME, we even had a whoopie pie cake. Luckily, they are much harder to find in NYC, so I won't be eating any more for a while. I'll just have to go back to cupcakes, but I'm going to try to abstain for a few weeks because I really overdid it the past two weeks.

1 comment:

Esther said...

Every single bit of that sounds correct.