Thursday, May 29, 2008

The tour continues... days 2 and 3

I forgot to write about my new favorite thing, which is GPS!! Heidi had the great idea to get GPS for the trip and it was so worth it. Of course, it didn't take long for us to start yelling at the voice, which we named "Betty," saying things like, "OKAY!! I KNOW!!" and "You already said that!" and "Where's the turn, you idiot?!" Even though we found it to be very helpful, computer voices are still really annoying.

So, we left The Balsams, plugged the new address into the GPS and headed southeast towards Portland. On the way, we passed Norway, Maine, so I took a picture by the road sign. Did I trick you? Did you think that I was actually driving a car to the country of Norway?

We stayed in a B&B a few minutes from Portland. When we pulled up, we saw the most hideous papermill across the street from our B&B and I was so turned off. But then we saw the view from the other end, which was a peaceful river. Quite a difference, but luckily our room faced the river. We learned (because, you know, these are the things I think about, and therefore ask lots of questions) that this home used to belong to someone connected to the papermill and was later turned into a guest house for people that came to visit the papermill. They stopped using it for that purpose in 1999 and it stood empty until 2006 when the current owners bought it and turned it into a B&B. They bought it completely furnished and didn't change a thing about it--just cleaned it up. We even ate off of the Lenox china that had belonged to the original owners. It was a really beautiful old home and we loved it! At first, Heidi was not so sure about the whole B&B thing. I have done it lots of times and it's my favorite way to travel. The first night, we were the only ones there, but the second night, there were three other couples there. Once we got up the first morning and had the whole place to ourselves, sitting on the porch looking over the river, I think she came around.

After settling in, we went into town and walked up and down the main street in "Old Port" about 50 times because we couldn't decide on a place to eat dinner. And when I say "we" couldn't decide, I mean Heidi couldn't decide. We ended up at a little dive where we got some seafood and sat outside on the pier. Heidi wanted steamers and also got fish and chips, and after paying and finding a seat, she was told that they didn't have steamers left. She was so disappointed, she got muscles instead and since they weren't really what she wanted, she got onion rings, too. Once all the food came, she went... What the...?? What have I done?? But then it was too late!


The next day went to see some lighthouses in the area. But first, of course, we ate lunch at another seafood restaurant that had delicious food and whoopie pies, as well as this fantastic view of the ocean. We had been told by our hosts that instead of paying to park at the state park for $20, we should just go to this restaurant and park there, and then you can see the two lighthouses in Cape Elizabeth (conveniently located on Two Lights Road). I'm so glad he told us, because you can't actually go into the lighthouse, you can just look at the outside and the water, which we did here for free while we ate our delicious lunch. After that, we climbed on these rocks before moving on to the next lighthouse, the Portland Head Light.


At The Portland Head Light we learned that this is the most photographed lighthouse in the US. I also thought it looked really familiar, and then I opened my cell phone and saw a picture that I had downloaded of an Edward Hopper painting of this lighthouse. I tried to go to a Hopper exhibit last summer at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, but the exhibit was sold out. Instead, I was able to download this lovely painting onto my phone. Almost as good as seeing the exhibit.




That night, we went to buy tickets for the new Indiana Jones movie (only $7.50 at the ONE movie theater in Portland), but after eating dinner, decided we were too tired and went to get a refund. I am really getting old! Instead, we went home and watched "My So-called Life" on DVD because Heidi's never seen it and I got it for Christmas from my friend, LT. Indiana Jones vs. Angela Chase and Jordan Catalano. Who would you have chosen?

1 comment:

Esther said...

B&B is the best way to go!!

"Why are you like that?"
"Like what?"
"Like how you are."