Saturday, March 22, 2008

mac n cheese

I am a mac and cheese fanatic. There are two restaurants here that serve only variations of mac and cheese on their menu, with a salad thrown in for good measure. I went to the first, called , S'mac last summer. I decided to get a healthier version mac and cheese, which used low-fat cheese and vegetables. I wasn't so impressed, but decided to go back another time when I was feeling like eating full-fat cheese and zero vegetables. It's in the east Village, so needless to say, it hasn't happened yet.

The second mac and cheese restaurant opened some time later, and it is called Supermac. I had the address written on a post-it, stuck to the wall in my office for several months, until I figured I didn't really need the address because I have passed it a few times and could probably find it again. What I hadn't found was an occasion to go. Until yesterday. I work for a Catholic agency, and therefore get Good Friday off. I met a friend to go shopping and talked her into going to Supermac with me (it wasn't hard to do). We got two varieties to share. We decided, again, to be "good" and got the whole wheat pasta and low-fat cheese for the traditional mac and cheese. Then we got whole wheat pasta and full-fat cheese for a variation of Carbonara sauce, complete with Prociutto. I have to say, I wasn't impressed. I told my friend that maybe we should go back another time and get the "real" traditional with regular pasta and real cheese, but she reminded me that we had the full-fat version of the Carbonara and it wasn't that good. So that's that.

So, the thing is, I can't understand why all they do is mac and cheese, and it's just marginal, when other restaurants get it right as one of many things on the menu. Next time I want mac and cheese I will be going to one of my tried and true restaurants. (Someone tell me if I've forgotten one. And this is clearly not comprehensive, but reflects the areas of town that I spend most of my time.)

1. eatery (Hell's Kitchen)
2. Hudon cafeteria (Hell's Kitchen)
3. City Bakery (Chelsea) (also home of the best chocolate chip cookies ever. seriously)
4. Chat n Chew (Chelsea)
5. Vynl (Hell's Kitchen)
6. Cowgirl (West Village)
7. Good Enough to Eat (UWS)

When we were at the restaurant last night, we had a stop-and-chat with the people next to us and they told us their favorite mac and cheese place is Hill Country on 26th (dangerously close to the East side). Actually, they were saying they have great BBQ, but also have mac and cheese, and for me, it's all about the cheese!

1 comment:

Esther said...

Regarding your list: That's correct.