Saturday, November 3, 2007

All Roads Lead to the Rock


Bon Jovi is in the middle of doing 10 nights at the new Prudential Center in Newark, NJ. After seeing them perform at Live Earth (Dawn and I agree that they were the highlight--better than the Police, but not better than JM, at least for me), I decided it was crazy that I've never seen them perform live before. So I decided to go to performance #5.
They are a lot like Bruce Springsteen in several ways. Of course, there is the NJ connection and the crazy NJ fans that love them and go to see them 10 nights in a row. There is also the similarity that they have those big songs that have the capacity fill up a whole stadium with the music ("Livin' on a Prayer" is their "Born to Run"). Unlike Springsteen, however, Bon Jovi played all their hits. Starting with "Runaway" all the way to "Lost Highway." If you are not a fan of The Boss, you may not be aware that people are always complaining that he doesn't just play Darkness on the Edge of Town and Born to Run, with a little Rosalita and Born in the USA mixed in, but actually tries to play some of his new songs and his solo songs in there as well. Despite their complaints, they will stil pay thousands of dollars to see him play live. Anyway, Bon Jovi tickets do not go for thousands of dollars and therefore I was able to go and enjoy them among my peeps. I still get a little choked up as he sings about his love for NJ.

No comments: