Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Movies

I have been meaning to post something about some movies I've seen lately, but haven't gotten around to it, so here goes....

1. I saw An Education while in London, and LOVED it. The coolest part is that there is a scene where the main characters go to a concert at this place in London, where I happened to be earlier in the day. But... I digress. Peter Sarsgaard is one of my favorite actors, and he was so good in this movie because he plays the role perfectly. Between this movie and Mad Men, I am so in love with the 60's fashions, but it does feel better to be a woman in the 00's. Although it takes place in the 60's, there are so many things that feel timely about this young woman's story.

2. You might have heard of a little movie called This is It starring a little performer named Michael Jackson.... I thought I'd enjoy this movie, but I liked it even more than I thought I would. It is easy to forget how great these songs were/are when his music has been out of the spotlight for a long time, but hearing it all again was fantastic. And the dancing? Amazing! There was a point where I was thinking, "Okay, we get it." And then all of a sudden, he goes into Billie Jean and I wanted it to keep on going.

3. Precious. This is getting tons of press and it is well deserved. I read the book and thought it was an okay book, but the movie really takes the story to a new level. Yes, these girls could be my clients. The only negative thing I could say is that I was with the most annoying audience. Not to give anything away, but there is a part of the movie where the main character, Precious, is smiling. The woman next to me is saying, out loud, "See? she's happy now. I can tell by her face. She's happy." I wanted to tear my hair out!!! Some people will say, "You only like depressing movies." It's pretty much true, but there are plenty of bright spots in this one.

Now is the time when all the best movies are coming out. Have you seen anything good lately??

2 comments:

Valerie said...

What? No review of New Moon? just kidding:)

Equis said...

My sister had a similar Precious experience when she went to see An Education. This is exactly why I never see a movie the first weekend it's released anymore. We've all been spoiled by the home viewing experience.

I haven't seen anything new in WAY too long. I do plan on doing a movie marathon this weekend though, first free weekend in a very long time. On my list are Men Who Stare at Goats, Precious, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Road, Ninja Assassin, 2012, Up In the Air, Everybody's Fine, The Lovely Bones, and Invictus. Lofty dreams I know but I hope to see at least 4-5. Wish me luck!