Saturday, April 5, 2008

Celebrating cupcake week


After watching Martha Stewart this week, I decided to get into the spirit and bake some cupcakes on Saturday. I invited some friends over to eat them, so I was stuck--I really had to make them. I chose to make the Meyer Lemon Raspberry cupcake that was featured from the Vanilla Bakeshop in Santa Monica. The first modification that I had to make is that when I went to the store to buy vanilla bean, I found that it was $16 for a bottle that contained 2 vanilla beans. So.... no, that didn't happen. I like my friends, but not that much. The second modification is that I decided not to buy the sanding sugar to dip the frosting in, or the raspberry to put on top, because I figured that was more for decoration than taste. The third modification happened because I started to make the lemon curd to put in as filling and it was so complicated and I was already running late... so I didn't make that either.

So, in the end... I made vanilla cupcakes with vanilla frosting and not as vanilla as it would be if I had used vanilla bean. Whatever. Here's a photo.

6 comments:

LeolaniNYC said...

you did a great job with the cupcakes! they were and still are great!

Esther said...

I like the plate too! :)

The Dirty Dietitian said...

They look great and I am looking forward to eating one. Thanks Heidi

Valerie said...

The cup cakes look yummy!
You can get great lemon curd at Trader Joe's

Tracy said...

that's more cup cakes than I have made....

One Sassy Princess said...

Your blogs about CupCakes are really making me crave cupcakes. So I made mini cakes--I like just abit more cake than a cupcake has to offer. I made red vanilla stars with vanilla icing! I will send photo!

If you were here I would buy you the vanilla bean--cuz I like you that much!!!!!