Wednesday, October 24, 2007

You have to be careful in New York City

Whenever I'm at the gym, I am super paranoid about a man walking into the ladies locker room by mistake. If I even hear a man's voice close to the door, I pause just to make sure he's not coming in. I rent a locker, which is situated right by the door, so if I'm at my locker, I'm the first naked person he'll see. In all my years at this gym, it's happened twice. Since I've been going more than 8 years, I guess that's pretty good. Both times, I happened to be fully clothed, thank goodness.

One of these times happened just last Tuesday. So it's no surprise that on Thursday, when I saw a man walk all the way in and actually make it to a locker without realizing he was in the wrong place I was alarmed. I turned to him and said, "EXCUSE ME!" He did not make a move, which made me immediately realize my mistake. I whispered the woman next to me, "Is that a man?" and she just gave me a look that said, "I'm outta here! This is not my problem." Then I could sort of see the outline of a sports bra through this person's shirt, as he/she took his/her stuff out of the locker and walked right out with his/her eyes on the ground. There really was no other indicator that this could be a woman. I still feel really bad, though.

2 comments:

One Sassy Princess said...

I've done things similar myself. Better safe than sorry--I say! You never want to get caught with your pants down!

Jeremy said...

When my thre-year-old niece was visiting us, we saw a couple of lesbians at a restaurant. We watched as her brain was trying to process the scene. Then, to our embarassment, she asked us, loud enough for them to hear, "are those boys or girls?" Overhearing the question, one of them turned around and said, "We're ALL girl."