Monday, October 15, 2007

Xanadu

I was invited to take part in a focus group this week. This was for a Broadway show. First, 12 women get together to talk about shows we've seen and how we normally hear about shows. Then they played some radio spots advertising the musical Xanadu. Then we saw a few newspaper ads for Xanadu. After each one, we give feedback about if we liked the ad and if the ad persuaded us to go see the show. My answer was no, no and no after each one. However, I did have a strong reaction to the music, which was playing in the radio spots, as my sister had the Xanadu album and we literally wore that mutha' out. In fact, I remember my brother telling me that his friend told him that we were listening to the album every time he came over. I left the focus group telling them that I was pretty sure I was going to hate the show.

We got to then go see the show and I have to say.... I loved it! I'm not sure I would have loved it if the music wasn't so near to my heart. However, they did a really good j0b making fun of the movie and all the weird, campy things about the movie (which I've never seen). It was really funny and creative and I recommend it to anyone that grew up in the 80's.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

I have the movie if you want to borrow it. It's the only musical I that I fast forward through the talking parts to get to the songs, usually it's the other way around.