Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Boss (again)


I didn't think I was going to be able to go see Bruce and the band again this tour, and I really wanted to because they are leaving for Europe and who knows when they will be back. I casually mentioned that I wanted to go to a co-worker and she told me she had some connection and could get me tickets for Saturday night's show! yeah! We got to sit in the press box.

It was another fantastic show. Ever since I saw him at the beginning of May, I've been listening to him obsessively, mostly "The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle." This album came out in 1973 and it was the last album of his that I ever bought (except for new releases, of course). Something about it has been speaking to me lately, though, and then he played 4/7 of that album on Saturday night. If you look at the proposed set list, he was supposed to play "I'm on fire" but apparently changed it for "Incident on 57th St." I love both, but since I've been singing "Good night, it's all right, Jane. Meet me tomorrow night on lover's lane," ever since, I guess I approve of the switch.

Here's the set list:

Badlands
Spirit In The Night
Outlaw Pete
Something In The Night
Out In The Street
Working On A Dream
Seeds
Johnny 99
The Ghost of Tom Joad
Good Lovin'
Cover Me *
The E Street Shuffle *
Thunder Road *
Waiting On A Sunny Day
The Promised Land
Incident on 57th Street
Kingdom Of Days
Lonesome Day
The Rising
Born To Run

Hard Times
Kitty's Back
Land of Hope and Dreams
American Land
Glory Days
Mony Mony

(*requests)


The set started out strong ("Badlands" & "Spirits in the Night"), but ended weak ("Glory Days" & "Mony Mony.") I may be one of the few people that think this, but "Glory Days" is a stupid song and absolutely my least favorite. "Mony Mony" is a song I heard waaaaaaay too many times at BYU and subsequent church dances. But a great night, nonetheless.


And the best news of all is that he announced he's coming back in September/October so it's not my last time seeing him after all!






3 comments:

Valerie said...

I wish I had someone to casually mention stuff to and then end up with Springsteen tickets. And, you're not alone, I don't like that song either.

Equis said...

I'm with Valerie. I think I might just start casually mentioning concerts I'd like to attend to random people and see if anything pans out. What other Springsteen/E Street albums would you recommend?

sonya d said...

Born to Run and Darkness on the Edge of Town are generally considered his best. I also love his first album, Greetings from Asbury Park. Newer releases, Magic, The Rising and the latest, Working on a Dream are all good too.

That sounds like all of his albums, but there are many more!