Saturday, February 21, 2009

NYF in the news

Here's a piece about one of the Sisters that I work with. She is a really wonderful person that I have known for the 12 years I have worked at the Foundling. Of course, I didn't always feel that way about her. She really gave me a hard time for the first few years that I worked there. I don't think she trusted that I knew what I was doing (and I kind of didn't at first). But we have become close over the years, and in the last few weeks, as she was preparing for the closing of Blaine hall, we really bonded as we cried over this wonderful program dying. Some people feel sorry for the kids that lived in the group home, but honestly, I think it was a great program and those kids were so well cared for. The saddest thing was that the home closed about one month before Christmas and Sr. Teresa didn't know what she would do for Christmas because she had spent every holiday with those kids for 34 years. She got choked up every time she talked about it.

If you have seen the movie Doubt, you have basically seen a movie with Meryl Streep channeling Sister Teresa Kelly, right down to the accent. I'm not kidding. It was eerie for me to watch.

If you haven't seen it, you should. It is a great movie... one of my top 5 of the year. (I still plan to make my list of the best of 2008...)

No comments: