Saturday, February 28, 2009

Danger!

On Friday, I tried to be a good influence on Heidi by suggesting we go to the gym together after work. After we worked out, she tried to be a bad influence on me by suggesting we try out this new cupcake place we heard about. Of course, she didn't have to try too hard. We had heard about this place because their red velvet cupcake was featured on Time Out New York's best eats of 2008.

The place is called Sweet Revenge and it is a really cute place, in a great neighborhood, near my office (that's why I called this posting Danger!) and they have delicious cupcakes. The lighting was not very good. Well, it was fine, but not for taking pictures, so I don't have one that we took, but there are several on this blog. And you can see the owner making her "Pure" cupcakes on Martha Stewart.

We were drawn in by the red velvet, which they call "Crimson and Cream", which also has raspberry in it, and that's the key. It was good. I mean, really goooood! Then I had to try the Pure (vanilla/vanilla), and I would say it was okay. The cake is pretty dense and a little dry, but good, but the frosting was a little too sweet. I rarely say that, but it was. We liked them enough to try one more, the "Sweet Revenge" which is peanut butter cake & frosting, with a middle of chocolate ganache. YUM! At $3.50 a piece, these are the most expensive cupcakes I've had, but maybe the fanciest. I love a place that we can sit down and enjoy them instead of taking them to go (Magnolia and others that have very limited seating).

So, Heidi and I have had this debate before, and we had it again at Sweet Revenge. She said the cake part was more cake-y and not cupcake-y. I say there's no difference. Yes, the cake part was dense, but cupcakes are small cakes, so technically there is no difference between cupcakes and cakes, it's just the recipe one uses. She didn't change my mind. I didn't change hers. What do you think?

3 comments:

Equis said...

I'm so proud of myself. I totally remembered the owner from Martha simply by the icing on the top of the cupcake. ;) My dream would be just do a tour of NYC's cupcakes. I envy you so!

shaunacd said...

actually, give me a cake or cupcake, either one and I'll be happy -

Anonymous said...

Well - from my baking perspective - there's no difference, but the size. I started out my busines doing only wedding and celebration cakes (still do them) and now am doing cupcakes. I use the same recipes for my cupcakes that I do for my cakes - BECAUSE - I've had such great feedback on the quality of the cakes - how could you go wrong with making them into cupcakes? However, I will say that there is a slight difference - in a slice of cake and a cupcake. Cupcakes can SOMETIMES be a bit drier inside - just because you are baking a small thing and the heat is completely encircling it - so it could happen if you're not careful. And, it is much easier to fill a cake with luscious fillings than a cupcake. But those are the only differences as I see it.