Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Foo Fighters

I went to see the Foo Fighters perform last night at Madison Square Garden. I do like them, but haven't ever bought a CD and haven't really listened to the ones I borrowed from a friend and ripped on my computer at work. At the show last night, I was thinking, "Why don't I listen to them more? They are f-ing amazing!" (Dave Grohl was cursing so much, I sort of started cursing more in my own thoughts, apparently.) The more I thought about it, the more I realized the reason is that I don't drive. I listen to music a little in the morning while I am getting ready for work. When I am listening to the radio, it's the classic rock station (therefore, I hear Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and The Who every day -- classic rock stations have a rotation, too, unfortunately). Then when I get to work, I often listen to CDs, but I have to listen to music a little more mellow at work which helps to get work done, rather than being a distraction (right now I'm listening to the Robert Plant/Alison Krause CD). Foo Fighters doesn't really fit into that category, and therefore, I never listen to them.

Another thing I found myself thinking was about Dave Grohl's hair. It is long and in his face most of the time, but also a little more styled than back in the Nirvana days. Since then, he had it short, so I wonder if he just grew it out from when it was short and this is how it is, or if he actually has it cut that way. These are the things I think about at concerts.

The stage was set up at the end, as usual, but they had a long runway down the center and then a round stage at the other end of the Garden. At first, this stage was covered in a black cloth, and I thought it was a trampoline (which would have been weird, right?) but that's about the size it was. They uncovered it and lowered a stage onto it with a drum kit, keyboards and several microphones. Half-way through the show, they walked down the runway and played an acoustic set from the small, round stage. The first thing DG said was, "You guys thought you had the sh**y seats, didn't you?" And we did--but we had great seats for this part of the show. My favorite part of the show, though, was when his daughter was there. DG ran down the runway and pointed, but I just thought he was pointing at the audience or something. Later, I noticed a baby crawling around on the runway. She was completely ignoring the show (i.e. her father) and was turned facing the small round stage, placing a bottle of water on it, then taking it off, then putting it back on, then taking it off. Seems rock star babies are just like non-rock star babies.

If you get the Fuse channel, the concert was recorded and is playing on that channel. I don't get that channel. F-ing Time Warner!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

watch this awesome video of DG and Will ferrell. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlLzAWUY6Xo

Esther said...

That's correct.

Valerie said...

I have totally thought that same thing about Patch on Days of our Lives, this is what I think about...