Thursday, September 5, 2019

Iceland day 1&2


I got into Reykjavik after 8 pm and we had a 9:30 pm reservation for dinner at Grill.  We were adventurous this trip!  
Appetizer:  Whale steak (it was delicious)


Julia's dinner: Monkfish skewers


My dinner: Atlantic Char with pesto sauce (yum!)


Heather's dinner:  Rib-eye steak


The next morning, we got up early because we had a tour booked for the southern coast.  We booked some tours and didn't know necessarily what we were getting.  This day we were happy to find out it was just the three of us, plus our tour guide, Thor, who played 90's rock in the "super jeep".  
There are a bunch of waterfalls to tour.  




Heather and Julia



Universal sign for Be Careful, there could be falling rocks








We went to see Eyjafjallajokull volcano (there wasn't much to see), but to get there, Thor had to deflate the tires a little bit to get over the terrain.  So he hooked up this wire and flipped some switch.  At the end of this part, he did the same thing and pumped them back up again.






Back on the road...


Some hidden falls



We stopped for lunch and I had Atlantic Char again.  The presentation was lovely and tasted delicious.




After the falls, we went to a black sand beach.  Thor told us that if we went in the water, we would die instantly.  




That night we went to Dill for dinner.  This is a "new Nordic" restaurant and they had a fixed menu.  There  were 10 courses of small plates and I don't remember any of it.  All the food was weird and I resisted being even weirder, and just ate what was put in front of me.  And I was happy I did because everything was good.  Here's one picture I took and I have no idea what it was, but it just gives you an idea of what we ate that night.  


Heather has some dietary issues, so she wrote in the reservation that she wanted the dairy-free menu.  But after a disappointing dinner in Stockholm, she decided she was not going to make that mistake again.  So when the waiter came and asked who wanted the dairy-free menu, she answered "That person is no longer with us" and I laughed so hard because it sounded like she died.  That was just the beginning of a night that we couldn't stop laughing about the smallest things, plus asking a million questions. The couple next to us were in a fight and didn't talk the whole time.  On the other side was another couple that talked in whispers.  When we left, the waiter thanked us "girls" for being so fun.  We were happy to be called "girls" by a "man" that looked about 12 years old.  


3 comments:

Valerie said...

Oh my gosh that's some crazy stories! We lol'ed! I love being the fun person at the restaurant who the wait staff likes :)

shaunacd said...

How beautiful that place is. Food? I don't
know about that.

Jill said...

Chris and I try to pretend we’re the couple in the fight thinking we might be the other end of that story one day. But nobody really notices. We think we’re funny though