Monday, September 16, 2019

Iceland day 3 and 4

On day 3, my friends went to tour the Golden Circle, which I had already done, so I went on a whale watching tour.  For some reason, I have no pictures from that day. I took a Dramamine and was still feeling sick, so I took a second one. Then I was sick, but also very sleepy.  I did get to see a few whales, but I will never take another whale watching boat again.  I went home and slept for three hours (which was actually quite nice).

On day 4, Julia and I went to tour a volcano, while Heather went shopping.  She had had enough nature by then.  First we hiked to a little rest stop because we had to go in shifts.  We were divided into groups of 8.  There was a professional football player (they kept talking about how he had to be careful not to get injured.  Meanwhile, my mom would have done this "hike" in flip flops and been just fine.) and his wife  and a private tour guide that were put into the second group.  After a little whispering, they were changed into the first group and by the time we were finished, they were probably already back in Reykjavik.





Outside the "basecamp" 


The volcano is named "Thrihnukagigur"  


When it was our turn, we walked up a little path and then crossed this bridge to a "lift" that we took down into the volcano.



On the way down


I took a lot of photos inside, but they don't look like anything.  These people give you a little perspective of what it looked like inside.




We walked around inside for about an hour and then went back up in shifts. 

Here is base camp from above 


And here is the traditional Icelandic stew that they fed us, which was quite good.  


After the tour, we went back into town and quickly changed into our bathing suits to go to Blue Lagoon.  I didn't take any pictures here, either.  But I did see a big group of people enter the water at one point and Robert Plant was in the group.  When we got back into town, we saw this sign that showed that he was there to play a show for the solstice festival going on.  






No comments: