Saturday, August 28, 2010

Birthday cupcake report

Birthday morning, I woke up to presents and birthday cake! Since I obviously love cupcakes, Anne Lise made them the theme of the day (and that's so like her to have a theme). All of the things in this gift bag had cupcakes on them -- note pads, post-its, those silly rubber bracelets, paper clips, etc.


Then she gave me this cute little cupcake on a pedestal, where it belongs. It was her famous Norske skjokolade kake with raspberry filling. So delicious and so many memories eating this cake together.Unfortunately, sometimes you have to eat something besides cupcakes. Therefore, we went out to breakfast to a place recommended by Esther called Hash House a Go Go. Little did we know that when we ordered a dish, it was supposed to feed a family of four.


This is a dish that is a signature HH meal. It is like eggs benedict, but they do it all on top of a biscuit. This was Lise's breakfast. She made a valiant attempt to finish it.

Below was my meal, which was turkey & bacon hash over fried potatoes, with a side of scrambled eggs and a biscuit. In case you are wondering, biscuits are second only to cupcakes for me.


Next, we were off on a cupcake adventure. We looked online and found a few places. Here's one, called Eclipse Chocolate. They mostly have amazing looking chocolate, but most places have some version of cupcakes in addition to anything else they serve, and so does this place. We got three cupcakes--all yellow cake with chocolate ganache frosting. From left -- PB&J, salted dulce de leche, and in front, apricot/peach.
Below is the salted dulce du leche. mmmmmm.... the cake was so moist and the ganache so rich. Here are a few choices from a place called Babycakes. We got several from this place... from the left pina colada, red velvet, vanilla/vanilla, black forest, chocolate/vanilla, and black bottom. These were disappointing. All of them were kind of spongy, dry and tasteless. That didn't stop me from eating one the next day out of the refrigerator, and for some reason, they tasted better the second day.


Lest you think I was finished, two days later I got a package in the mail. Esther, knowing how much I love her friend's cakes, who is also now making whoopie pies, sent me 16 whoopie pies. SIXTEEN!! And they are good!!

2 comments:

shaunacd said...

Embarrasment of riches!!!

Equis said...

I was in Las Vegas over Labor Day weekend and we went to the Hash House there. I took a fwe snapshots of my meal...and my cocktails as well. ;) The pancake was genourmous!! Happy Belated Birthday, looks like it was a swell one.