Saturday, February 6, 2010

Best of 2009

Top ten movies:
1. 500 Days of Summer
2. An Education
3. Precious
4. I Love you, Man
5. Adventureland
6. Crazy Heart
7. The Hurt Locker
8. Two Lovers
9. It's Complicated
10. Paper Heart


Best adapted screenplay: Precious.

Best original screenplay: 500 Days of Summer

Best Song: "The Weary Kind" in Crazy Heart

Best old song in a movie: "Limelight" by Rush in I Love You, Man

Most overrated:
Up in the Air and George Clooney in it. Basically, wasn't he just being Doug Ross, but as a corporate guy instead of a doctor?
The Hangover. This won the Golden Globe. Don't get it.
Penelope Cruz. Is it just me, or is she becoming the new Judi Dench and gets nominated in every movie?


Best performances:
Best Actor: Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart
Best Acress: Gabourey Sidibe in Precious
Best Supporting Actor: no strong feelings in this category, actually.
Best Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique in Precious

This was the most joyous scene of any movie I saw this year. I literally couldn't wipe the smile off my face.




TV

best comedy: 30 Rock.

best drama: FNL

best episode: Mad Men season finale.

best new show: Glee

best TV on DVD: thirtysomething (thanks Esther!)

best fake news: The Daily Show. Still awesome, even after Bush left office!

guilty pleasure: The Bachelor, or as my brother in law calls it, The Crap-elor. It's so wrong, but it feels so right.

Best books I read this year:

Fiction: Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri. (I'm only 10 years late to this book. So good!!)

Non-fiction: It's kind of a silly book, and most of the time I was thinking, "I can't believe this person got a book deal." But then again, I thought it was funny and sad and I couldn't put it down. The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance by Elna Baker.

Best concert: Bruce Springsteen at the Meadowlands.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My favorite section of your Best of 2009 is your "most overrated section." So true. And incidentally, our top 3 movies this year are the same, although in slightly different order (for me, #1 is Precious, #2 is An Education, and #3 500 Days of Summer.)

Equis said...

I think I might have first started reading your blog on your Best of 2008 post. It's our anniversary, yay!! :)

I've only seen one of the movies on your top ten list but at least it's the number one movie. How can anyone not love Joseph Gordon-Levitt??