Tuesday, April 7, 2009

could it be true?


A little over a year ago, Batch opened around the corner from my office. Very early on, Heidi and I went in to try their cupcakes. They had all kinds of different, groovy flavors. I think we tried the Lemon and Chocolate and maybe green tea. They were really good, but since their cupcakes are almost $3.00 and pretty small, we decided that they are not worth it. Plus, Royale had just opened, and that became one of our favorites. So, believe it or not, I didn't go back for a cupcake, although I think I did try some other things. When I say it is around the corner from my office, it is LITERALLY around the corner. I still kind of can't believe they don't know me on a first name basis (which they do at Royale). But I digress.


So a few weeks ago, I was walking to the subway, and I saw some teenage girls with a page ripped out of a magazine in their hands. They looked pretty lost, and asked me where Waverly and West 10th was. I was on 6th Ave, and Waverly is right in front of me, so I point them in that direction, but I can't think of where West 10th is. Besides the fact that I have a terrible sense of direction, the streets are all crooked in this neighborhood. I even work on the corner of Waverly, but it crosses my street in two different places! It's crazy. Anyway, I finally just ask them what they are looking for, and when they say "Batch," I am no longer lost and give them perfect directions. I can't tell you where certain streets are, but name a bakery, and I'm on it!


Just last week, I was walking past Batch and saw that they have shut down. Is it possible that cupcakes have reached the saturation point in New York? Is it possible that one is actually going out of business?? (Just the fact that this place exists and I haven't blogged about it until now should tell you how plentiful they are!)


Heidi and I were walking by the next day and decided to ask and found out that they are moving uptown. So, maybe it's just the West Village that is cupcaked out.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

I went to a cupcake place in Lafayette, CA (Northern california, Bay area) before I left. It was $3. Tasty but I never went back.

Valerie said...

You had me worried there for a minute, you know my heart breaks when a store goes out of business, and a CC place at that... Thank goodness it's not. I plan to do some cupcake testing when ever I can get myself there!