Friday, June 9, 2017

Amsterdam part 2

Tulips are everywhere in Amsterdam. This is a picture of the flower market in the middle of town.


On my last day in Amsterdam, I went to the tulip gardens about 45 minutes outside of the city.  The tour guide said that they plant the tulips in layers so that when the early bloomers die, there is another layer popping up.  Here is a video of the whole garden .




This is a garden that the tulips are planted to look like a Mondrian painting.  Since it was at the end of the season, most of them were dead so it was a pretty sad looking site.




When I imagined the tulip gardens I pictured something totally different than what I found.  Something more like what I saw in this movie.



Or this...



It was basically a botanical garden with too many people taking selfies.  But then I saw on the map/guide that I could rent a bike to see them in huge fields.  So I left the garden and was told by the woman renting the bikes that most of the fields were past their prime but there was one field that had some tulips left and that field was about 45 minutes away.  I was disappointed about that, but I sped out there because I didn't want to miss my bus back into the city.  When I went past this field, I thought "If this is it, I'm going to be pissed."


But I kept going and found this one field of red tulips.





Someone is enjoying the tulips. She was dancing in the field for the whole time I was there.


One lonely yellow tulip left at the end of the season.

My bike. 

1 comment:

shaunacd said...

Love seeing these pictures. It brings a lump to my throat, knowing you were there. Thanks for the postcards, I really love them,