Sunday, June 10, 2012

Portland treats


Our first stop in Portland was Voodoo Donuts, and we split two donuts. #1 was the famous maple bar with bacon and #2 was the Memphis Mafia fritter (fritter w/ banana chunks, chocolate frosting, peanut butter and chocolate chips). Both were ridiculously good and ridiculously sweet and I ate until I wanted to gag.



Even so, I planned to go back and try some other flavors, but take a gander at the line...



Across the street from the B&B where I stayed was this little treasure, called Pix Patisserie. They had the most amazing macarons. I have found that the small ones are not very good because the texture is not quite right. However, these macarons were perfect.
I ate two and then went back for one more.
Below are the Fleur de Sal and the Apple Pie.



One day I was on my way for brunch. Why was I going out for brunch when I was staying at a B&B? The answer is that place had the worst breakfasts of any B&B I've ever stayed in. On the way, I passed one of the many food cart pods around Portland and decided to try Blues City Biscuits. I got a biscuit sandwich (yum) with molasses butter and ham. I never drink real Coke, but this was a "Mexican Coke" so I went for it and it was delish!



The next day, I finally made it to Broder for brunch. I had a delicious meal of Aebelskiver (Danish pancakes) with lemon curd and lingonberry jam.


And last but not least of all the treats was this yummy pecan pie from the The Pie Spot .


I have a good friend in Portland, and I met up with him and his cute family a couple of times. My last night there, Jeremy and I went to the Viking Soul Food food cart. They sold something sort of Norwegian but not really. Basically it was a wrap with some Norwegian-ish food inside -- lefse, meatballs, gjetost, cabbage.  Not very authentic, but it feels authentic if you wear the hat. 




A successful trip was evidenced by the pound I gained while I was away. There were other places I wanted to try but didn't have time for, so I guess I'll have to go back someday.

5 comments:

Jeremy said...

I'm ashamed to admit that I have only been to two of the places you visited and one of them was while you were here. (Also, you should have gone to Voodoo late at night. The time I went around 2am or so, the guy standing in front of me in line was only wearing a coconut shell tied around his waist!) I'm glad you had a good time!

Tina said...

I want those Danish pancakes more than I can say. I hope they tasted as good as they loooked.

sonya d said...

They were actually better than they look. So so so good! I bet you could make them, though, Teen. You're good like that.

sonya d said...

Jeremy, I've heard the story... and now I can picture it.

shaunacd said...

That's exactly my comment, "I want thos Danish pancakes!!"