Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Vacation wrap-up part 1

I decided that I would go visit my parents this summer because, for the first time since they moved out west, fares to Grand Junction, CO (the closest airport) were less than going to Europe. (But still more than they should cost.) It seemed like a good time to go because I've only visited them in the winter before, which I hate. Despite what you may think, Moab is freezing in December. Once I got there and endured one super hot day, I realized that I hadn't thought that part out very well. But luckily, they, like we New Yorkers, are having a pretty mild summer. There was only one day when I was miserable. You can say, "But it's a dry heat" all you want. I disagree. Hot is hot.

So, mostly we talked about quilts and cars (the two things my mom and dad, respectively, care more about than most other things). I drove my dad's '68 Mustang, which was pretty cool, and shopped at the Moab quilt shop, which was also pretty cool.

Several years ago, I talked Esther into going to The Grand Canyon with me. As a native Arizonian, she had never been. When I told my dad what we were doing, he said, "Why are you going there? You've been to Dead Horse Point. It's basically the same thing." So when I visited my parents a few years ago, I told my sisters that I was going to suggest going to Bryce Canyon and bet them that he'd say something similar. To my surprise, he said, "Okay." I guess he's not as predictable as I thought.

We didn't end up going that time, but we did go this time, and here are some pictures.





2 comments:

Valerie said...

I was JUST saying the same thing about heat to mom!

shaunacd said...

great pictures. We did have a good time at Bryce Canyon. I wish we could have spent more time at Lake Powel, but by then it was way to hot, and home sounded good.