Monday, January 12, 2009

Our favorite things



We all like to make lists. Here are our lists of our favorite Roman things. I'll start with my faves.




1. Going up into the dome in St. Peter's Basilica. See those windows? That's about where we were standing.
This is the view from the outside.



After that, we took the 300+ steps up to the top, where we had a nice view of the city. There were some tight spaces in the staircase and I started to panic a bit, but I'm pretty good at talking myself out of it. I'm glad I did because it was a great view from the top. Besides, there is nothing I could have done. It's not like you can start walking down when there are 100 people behind you and the staircase is so narrow.



2. Walking around Rome, where every time you turn a corner, there's some new beautiful scene that feels like you are in a movie.


3. St. Peter's in Chains church. This church has on display the chains that bound Peter, pictured here with Trevor lighting a candle.



But the part I really liked about the church was Michelangelo's Moses statue. This is one of those things that I've seen pictures of, but did not appreciate until I saw it in person.



Kathy's favorite things were:

1. Walking and exploring Rome

When we walked out of our hotel, we went up a little street pictured here (which we named Orange St. because it had orange trees on it and we wanted to pick and eat them, but didn't know if we were allowed because it was near the President's house so maybe they were his oranges. Can you imagine just walking down the street of a major city and seeing fresh oranges?). At the top of the hill was this view over the city, so it was our first view.




2. Our beautiful hotel with comfy beds, chatting by the fire, eating free chocolates and drinking DCs, which were replenshed daily. (pictured here, in a bottle designed by Roberto Cavalli.)


3. Gelato at San Crispino. Even though it was cold, we ate it every day! We tried a few different places, but this was our favorite.


Trevor's favorites:

1. Walking around Rome. We loved the mix of the ancient and modern 10 feet from each other.


2. The Pantheon (here's a great photo that Kathy took of the ceiling. That hole is open, so when it rains, it just pours right into the building. Can you imagine being in church and having it rain on you? Girls camp testimony meeting doesn't count. )



3. Sitting by the fire, eating chocolates.





thanks Kathy. Most of these pictures are yours!

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Wow! I didn't know Rome could look so nice, all I remember was how dirty everything was. Maybe I will go back there someday...