Thursday, December 4, 2008

movie reviews

I have seen three movies in the past week, so I thought I'd review them. (No, Twilight is not one of them.)

Australia was okay, but pretty disappointing on the whole. I think some people might see it just because they like Hugh Jackman. I've never really been on board with that one, although I do understand why people like him. So if that's all you care about, go see it because he looks great. I think that Baz Luhrman was going for something here, but he tried too hard and missed the mark. If you like shots of Hugh Jackman standing, the wind in his hair, swelling music and dramatic Australian desert in the background, this is the movie for you. If you like similar shots of Nicole Kidman, again, this movie is for you.

Slumdog Millionaire was very good. A little too violent for my taste, but not your usual Hollywood cliche. Plus, poor orphans in India. Right up my alley. There was also a preview for The Wrestler, which I have to admit, I might actually see.

Four Christmases. I am not always a fan of holiday movies but I was expecting to like this movie, but I looooved it! It was the perfect vehicle for Vince Vaughn. I like him a lot, but I refuse to see him in anything co-starring Owen Wilson, so I don't get to see very many of his movies. I'm going to quote Owen Gleiberman from EW:

It's a pleasure to see Vaughn play an actual character — a nervous motormouth who speaks in loop-the-loop sentences he uses to talk himself into things.

Also, you'd think that celebrating Christmas four times would get old and tired for the viewer, but finally here is a movie that does it right! It is exactly an hour and a half, which is what comedies should be. I thought it was hilarious and can even recommend it to my mom.

3 comments:

shaunacd said...

All right!!I'd love to see that movie, just hope it comes to Moab or I'll have to see it in Ohio. Looking forward to seeing you

Esther said...

Thank you for taking the Australia bullet for me. I'm glad you agree with my positive assessments of Slumdog and Four Christmases.

Sally said...

I want to see Four Christmases so thanks for the review.

So, not a Twilight fan? If you do see it you have to go twice, SO much better the second time! :)