Monday, September 5, 2011

Scandinavia day 8

Wow.... we went to Scandinavia before Memorial day, and now it's after Labor day. I promise it's coming to an end soon...
Our one full day in Stockholm began with a tour of StorKyrka.




This is Saint George slaying the dragon....










This is a pretty bad picture of a really cool painting, called Vädersolstavlan...


Next we went to the German church ...





After these two churches, we boarded a little ferry to Drottningholm Palace...






Here's JuJu looking cute on the back of the boat...

and here's me trying to keep warm...

and I couldn't resist taking a picture of this guy, who we named Carl Svenson, or Sven Carlson, just because he looked so much like a Viking. Julia was making fun of me, but she's just jealous she didn't think of it first...


Views from the boat....






Here's the Palace from the boat...






and Julia in front...





the back of the Palace and the grounds..






After the Palace, we went back into town and looked for something to eat for dinner. Remember from day one when I said that Julia and I were eating some hot dogs? Well, this spurred a memory for Julia of a Swedish feast that she enjoyed way back when. A hot dog, smothered in mashed potatoes, wrapped in lefse. I was on board, but we had to find it first, and we finally did on day 8. I think Julia was happy.






And then we went for dessert... eplekake med vaniljesaus (applecake with vanilla sauce) !




2 comments:

shaunacd said...

I check your blog almost every day, imagine my excitement to find day 8 of Scandinavia! I will be sad when you have reported on it all.

Jenni said...

I am glad you finally posted the rest of your trip. My mom told me that the Swedes eat hot dogs with mashed potatoes and all sorts of junk - I thought she was just trying to get us to eat it...because she did make that occasionally, but now I know she was not joking! Now I would totally eat that! I think she put onions and mustard on it.