Saturday, June 4, 2011

Scandinavia Day 1

As you probably already know, I just spent about a week and a half in Scandinavia. The low-down is that my former roommate Julia and I talked about taking a trip together for several years. She did her mission in Sweden and I was in Norway, so we figured we should go back together. It took a while, but we finally did it. She had a work assignment in Copenhagen and Malmø in Sweden, so I planned to go over, freeload at her hotel, and hang out like a European while she worked. Despite being so close to Norway, I didn't plan to go there because I wanted to only go places I haven't been. But of course, the more I thought about it, the more I decided I wanted to, and Julia also wanted to see a bit of Norway. So... it turned into a much bigger deal than originally planned.

Day one, we arrived in Copenhagen, checked into our hotel, and went downtown. Our first stop was lunch. In reading my Rick Steves guide, I learned that the locals eat their lunch from these little hot dog trucks. Since I was down with being a European for the week, I was down with eating like a local. (Another way that I went local? ... didn't bring a razor.) While Julia and I stood in line, I was reading to her what Steves says about the different kinds of dogs you can get. Julia got it in her mind that she wanted one kind of dog in one kind of bun. Somehow, she pointed to the dog she wanted and the bun she wanted... and ended up with two hot dogs. It started the week off with lots of laughs. For me, anyway.


This is my dog... which was more of a sausage, wrapped in bacon. It was gooooood....



After lunch, we ventured off to the main shopping area, Strøget.

We stumbled across Vor Frue Kirke and went in. Julia informed me that I have heard about this church for years in General Conference. She's probably right.

The original Christus statue.
This sign says "This is my beloved Son, Hear him."




On both sides of the Christus statue are the 12 apostles. Here is Peter, with the keys of the priesthood. Read more and see much better pictures than mine here.


After this, we went home and had bad pizza and went to bed.


Day two coming soon...

3 comments:

shaunacd said...

wow! that church was built and rebuilt. How thrilling to be there and see it all.

shaunacd said...

The original Christis statue, it must have been aweinspiring!

Esther said...

hot dog wrapped in bacon - you can do anything after that.