Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Scandinavia day 5


Bergen...




Julia had to get back to Copenhagen for some of her plays, and I stayed two extra days in Norway. At the Bergen hotel they had mini tubes of Nugatti, about the size of a travel-size tube of
toothpaste. Somehow I had forgotten about this delicious Norwegian treat. I went up to the buffet, put a couple tubes on my plate, took my plate to my table, and slipped the tubes into my pocket. Trip #2 to the buffet, I did the same. After staying at that hotel for two nights, I had quite a stash of Nugatti to bring home (I ate some, I shared some).

After breakfast, I walked to the gågate. There is an annual music festival in Bergen in the month of May. I went to the closing ceremony 19 years ago, where they played lots of lovely music including this one by Grieg (this is not the actual performance I attended, FYI, because I know someone will ask).




So when I heard that they were going to have the opening ceremony on the gågate and it was free, I knew what I'd be doing. The king was also there. I didn't understand much of the speeches going on, but I did understand every reference to the weather, because it was not raining. Our good fortune could not last, however, and the skies opened up towards the end of the performance. Look at these cute kids in traditional clothing!

This video was from this performance. To all my Norwegian peeps out there: if you know this song, tell me what it is in the comments section. I think it was a song dedicated to the king. Everyone in the audience was singing along.



Here is a shoe store that I went to during my first week in Norway -- my greenie area. I needed some shoes that were a little more appropriate for doing the walking and running that we did. However, I should have bought shoes that were more appropriate for the bad weather, too. So after a couple days of typical Bergen weather, I realized my mistake. Pretty soon I came up with a plan... every morning, I put my foot in a plastic bag, put on my shoe, and then cut off the extra bag parts. Ridiculous, but effective. The following winter, I bought boots instead.






Walking around the gågate, I saw this group of children, dressed in their Helly Hansen jackets and rain pants. It's one of my most vivid memories of living in Bergen.


After the concert, I went shopping for some lunch. Instead of lunch, I found dessert at this little bakery. I didn't expect to find cupcakes in Norway. The cake wasn't so good -- a little too dense and not sweet enough for my taste, but the frosting was good.


Next, I took the Fløibanen to the top of the mountain. It was still raining a bit, so my pictures did not come out, but it was just like I remembered.





More kiddos at the top of Fløien.



I heard from Anne Lise's mom that this was a great place to get sweater bargains, and she was right. I bought this sweater, with the intention of giving it as a gift, but then had to wear it because it was cold and rainy. (this picture was taken in my next stop.)


Next up, I met up with my friend, previously known as Eldste Bowcutt, now just Bowcutt or KB. He has been (unfortunately) living in Bergen for the past decade plus. I haven't seen him in many years and it was unbelievably good to see him again. I didn't get a picture of us together, but I do have this one, taken in Oslo in 1993.

Notice me wearing my BYU sweatshirt, which I am wearing in many, many pictures from this time. Also notice that Bowcutt is wearing his mission clothes but since we weren't he must have taken off his tie and unbuttoned his shirt, but kept his tag on, like the goofball that he is. I don't know why the ladies were being casual and the gentlemen weren't. Sitting in between KB and me is Anne Lise, and at one time in life, the three of us were the best of friends. I wish things didn't have to change! (Also pictured is my trainer, Crane, and Bowcutt's trainer, Kasteller.)

Day five ended with me getting on this boat and sailing north....

3 comments:

shaunacd said...

A really beautiful place

Merete said...

Sangen som blir sunget er bysangen til Bergen, best kjent som "Jeg tok min nystemte".

sonya d said...

Tusen takk, Merete!