Tuesday, March 29, 2011

quilt show

On Saturday, my mom and I went to see the Empire Quilt Guild's show. We thought that would be the highlight of the day (and was actually the whole reason my mom decided to come to NYC this time around). But at the quilt show, they had information about a quilt exhibit, happening now in connection with the Folk Art Museum, called "Infinite Variety." It has over 600 red and whilte quilts, all from one woman's collection. We were totally blown away. I didn't bring my camera, but was so impressed by this exhibit that I took a lame picture with my lame phone. But it gives you an idea. All the quilts were clustered in 8 or 10 circles, or "pavilions," with quilts hung in 3-4 rows from the ceiling, on the interior and exterior of the pavilions, so you could walk around and through all of the quilts.

This is just one random quilt that I took a picture of. Not because it was my favorite or anything, but because I thought it would super easy to make (and still really cool looking).



Years ago, my sister Valerie asked my mom to make her a quilt that was all red and white (Ocean Waves was the design). My mom prefers quilts that are scrappy and bright, so she said Val's idea was "boring," but she did it anyway because that's just how she is. After this exhibit, she's changed her mind.

2 comments:

shaunacd said...

The picture looks pretty good and almost gives an idea of how the exhibit was. As you walk in, not knowing what to expect, it really takes your breath away. So sorry the exhibit is gone by now. Everyone should have been able to see it.

One Sassy Princess said...

One word...AWESOME!!!!