Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Governor's Island

What I love about living in New York is that I have lived here for 9 years and there are still things I have never done. This weekend I scratched one of those things off the list.

Jason and I took the free ferry over to Governor's Island. This is a little island between Manhattan and Brooklyn that used to be the residence for Coast Guard people, and before that Army people, and before that, it was British Army people before the Revolutionary War. (And, of course, before that, the American Indians.) The homes are all empty now, but are beautiful, old homes that were built in the 1800's and early 1900's. They have been empty since the Coast Guard left in 1996, but some have been restored and are open for touring. You can rent bikes or walk the island to explore. Jason and I decided we were going to just sneak in and live in one of the homes, and kayak to the "main island" every morning for work. Who would know?







We freaked out when we saw this library!



and the detail of this house...


Leave it to New Yorkers to find a little empty space and turn it into an art exhibit!








3 comments:

One Sassy Princess said...

okay--all those baby staues gave me the hebejebe's!

Valerie said...

Mimi said:"Too babied"

Sara M said...

So have you moved in yet? How is the morning paddle ride in? I really liked the idea of that.